We are dedicated to providing the information and resources necessary to prevent conflicts with wildlife. This increases human safety and allows wildlife to move through the greater Ninemile-Sixmile area without becoming “food-conditioned” (i.e., expecting food from humans). Check out our many programs and informational links and do your part to keep our wildlife wild!
- Connectivity Map -- Shows how the Ninemile connects several major wilderness areas, compliments of Great Burn Conservation Alliance.
BeBearAware.org is an excellent resource for how to live safely with bears.
Be sure to check out their handout on How to Deploy Bear Spray (PDF) - it is excellent.
- How to Keep Bears Out of Your Yard
- Learning to live with wolves: communitybased conservation in the Blackfoot Valley of Montana (PDF)
- Driving with Wildlife (PDF)
- Tips for Avoiding Traps (PDF) (published Jan 2013, note that the calendar is out of date but the remaining info is useful)
- Living and Safety in Bear Country - Important information about how to live safely in bear country from Missoula Bears.
- Wildlife Friendly Fencing Guide (PDF)
The Ninemile Wildlife Workgroup works with a lot of folks in order to meet our goals. Please check out the great resources they provide:
Center for Wildlife Information
Defenders of Wildlife
Five Valley Audubon
Five Valleys Land Trust
Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee
Living With Wildlife Foundation
Lolo National Forest
Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks
Montana Land Reliance
Montana DOT US 93 Wildlife Crossing Structure Monitoring
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
The Nature Conservancy
Montana Trout Unlimited
Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative